The input is returning to the server as an empty string "".

The field is required, so when the onEvent method checks
   protected final void onEvent(final AjaxRequestTarget target)
   {
       final FormComponent formComponent = getFormComponent();
       boolean callOnUpdate = true;

       try
       {
           formComponent.inputChanged();
           formComponent.validate();
           if (formComponent.hasErrorMessage())
           {
               formComponent.invalid();
           }
           else
           {
               formComponent.valid();
               formComponent.updateModel();
       catch (RuntimeException e)
       {
           callOnUpdate = false;
           onError(target, e);

       }

       if (callOnUpdate)
       {
           onUpdate(target);

the component is set as invalid and the model is not updated.

I am not concerned if the component is valid at this stage of the game, I
simply have other models I need to update based on what is (or is not) in
this component.

I understand what it is doing, but I believe it is a mistake to not update
the model. Especially since onUdate is still being called with the old
unupdated values.

my $.02

Regards,

use wicket's ajax debug console to see what the url request is
then set a breakpoint in AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior.onEvent and
walk it, see why its not setting the value to null

-igor

--
Shawn Tumey
Cofounder