I don't know if it can help, but for us, we added this code in our base page
to make the cursor change when there is an ajax call in progress :
   <script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
       Wicket.Ajax.registerPreCallHandler(function() {
document.getElementById("main").style.cursor='progress'; });
       Wicket.Ajax.registerPostCallHandler(function() {
document.getElementById("main").style.cursor='auto'; });
       Wicket.Ajax.registerFailureHandler(function() {
document.getElementById("main").style.cursor='auto'; });
   </script>