On 1/29/07, nilo.de.roock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are three examples Page1.java / Page1.html, Page2.java / etc.
> As far as I can see they are exactly the same.
> Was this sufficient to demo / test the integration?

In this case it was, as it proves that the Groovy scrips result in
pages/ components from where it just works like the rest of Wicket. So
case was made, the Sky is the limit. Note that we weren't introducing
some new fancy DSL/ framework on top of Wicket, but merely let you use
Groovy to define your components and pages rather than Java.

> It would be nice to be able to develop Wicket webapps with Groovy ( or
> JRuby, or whatever makes a developer happy and thus productive )

I don't know about that. We made this integration project to show that
we could, but obviously it is not a center technology or otherwise you
would have found this in core or as a core project.

One of the advantages you'll get from working with Wicket is that you
can rely on strong typing a lot - and this is different from a lot of
competing frameworks - with the all advantages (and sometimes
disadvantages) that come with that. Of course, the fact that *we*
think Java is better for Wicket than Groovy is doesn't mean that is
for everybody.

> If I manage to get a thorough understanding of what it takes to integrate
> Wicket and Groovy I can maintain the Groovy / Wicket integration for the
> Wicket team. I am thinking of contributing a demo site in Groovy / Wicket /
> Databinder including a testset and tutorial. It won't be a trivial app so I
> am thinking in months rather than weeks before it's in a releasable state.
> That's the best way of testing the integration, I suppose.

Sure, mail me your sourceforge account and I'll be happy to grant you
commit rights. I don't think the example needs to be more extensive to
show that the trick works, but I can definitively see possibilities to
extend the Groovy integration with some Groovy extensions and
utilities to facilitate the kind of rapid development you're looking
for if you decide to use Groovy.

Just on the side note: I don't think I will ever be a big Groovy fan.
It seems that the project made a lot of progress in the last two
years, but I wonder if it really ever outgrew it's shaky foundations.
My favorite scripting language for Java has always been PNuts
(https://pnuts.dev.java.net/). It's simple to integrate, clean, super
fast and extensible. So if you're thinking about integrating *some*
scripting language, you might consider the alternatives (JRuby and
Jython being other options to look into). Just my 2c.