So if you have 25 customers with custom look and feels, you have 25
_variation files, each specific to a customer. Or make it 50, or 100,
or 1,000 customers.

You don't want to deploy all the variations to all the customers (they
hold copyrights on some of their graphics and other ui elements, so
legally you can't!). And you don't want to build 25 or 1,000 customer
specific application jars.

How do you handle that?

What I'm looking for is a way for the app to be identical, regardless
of to which customers machine it's deployed to, and for the ui
resources (not just css and graphics, but html too) to be pluggable at
runtime (without resorting to storing them in a database for example).

I just though VFS might be a way to keep that neat and tidy,
especially when you start getting into large numbers of components and
variations.

Mark