What is the default for the maxPageVersions?

If you don't need back button support at all, just have all your pages
(or probably some base page) override isVersioned (or use
setVersioned) and let it return false. Wicket will not record changes
then, and your URLs between what otherwise would have been versions
keep stable.

Also, set IPageSettings#setMaxPageVersions to 1 and it is best to use
the HttpSessionStore.

Eelco