Create a property on your class holding the ListView to store the
selected list item, and then do something like:

setCurrentRuleChain( item.getModelObject() );

where your "System.out" line is.  The ListItem#getModelObject() holds a
reference to the individual model object that it is rendering.

Then, you can do somewhere else in your code:

// if not null, then we have a selection
if ( myPanel.getCurrentRuleChange() != null )
{
       // do something
}

There are a few different ways to accomplish it, but hopefully this
gives you an idea.

Aaron