Well, I am converting an existing Tapestry application to Wicket (due to
performance and stability problems).
The architecture is done is such a way that it is necessary to render

The web application has to deal with asynchronous communication with a
server. I will give you an example.
The browser sends a request that it wants to submit X.
The web application receives this and put task A on the event queue that
sends it to the server application.
In the meantime task A waits.
The server application then sends a request to the web application that it
needs information about Y.
The web application retrieves the current cycle and renders a response so
the user can answer the question about Y.
And it continues like that when finally task A gets its response from the
server and renders in a request cycle other than
the one causing the request.

This architecture existed before any web application was developed for it.

Robert