> a) focus on stabilizing 1.3 first, meanwhile keep supporting 2.0
> (though only for bugfixes). 1.4 will be the release with backports of
> the currently missing 2.0 features, and 1.5 will be 1.4 + the Java 5
> features (including generics).
>
> b) as a) but rather than developing 1.3 up to a final release, freeze
> asap (only fix bugs) and start on 1.4
>
> c) put all backports except for the Java 5 features in 1.3 after the
> beta1 release (which we agreed upon doing this weekend). 1.4 will be
> for the Java 5 features, and the branch should be started as soon as
> 1.3 is feature complete.

I feel very strongly about choosing c).

Imo, a) takes too long for the people currently working on 2.0
(including myself for Wicket In Action). We basically tell them to
hold their breath until we are ready for it, which in fact punishes
them twice for being early adaptors (who I think we should value
especially giving the type of framework Wicket is).

I think b) would be good if it worked. However, I don't believe it
will. We have been annoyingly slow in putting out releases this year.
Sure there have been lots of reasons for it, but the fact remains that
even though we plan to move fast with releases, we never actually
do[1]. And with all the best intentions, I have absolutely not doubt
that if we follow b), it'll be months up to a year before we reach
1.5.

So for me c) is the best package. We'll have the pain (of which I
doubt the intensity for most people, but let's play with Johan's
branch for that) now, which probably sucks, but it is the quickest way
to get things really stable. We will have implemented all the API
changes we have been thinking about the last 1.5 years, and 1.3 will
be a release that'll be good for a long time. We'll have a separate
branch for Java 5 stuff with 1.4, but as long as we want to support
Java 1.4, we'll have that anyway. The code should be largely the same
except for the generified components and models and some 1.5
constructs. Compared to maintaining the current 2.0 and 1.3, that
should be a piece of cake. A final argument for c) is that it just
pushes us to get it over with.

My 2c,

Eelco

[1]
http://www.nabble.com/remove-add%28%29-and-pass-parent-in-constructor--tf929620.html
The interesting thing there is that even back then there was
discussion on whether to break early or not. I think in hind-sight we
can say that it was a bad decision we didn't do it right away, which
makes my opinion about c) even stronger. We might have been 'stuck'
with the new constructor forever you may argue, but otoh, we might
have found out it wasn't gonna work earlier.