actually we are inconsistent in some places and i have been trying to fix
it. what we mostly do is whenever we work with a collection we clear it and
repopulate it. but we never call setobject() on the model which imho is
wrong. sometimes i have a model in between that depends on setobject()
called whenever a property is updated because it does some translation and
its a lot easier to proxy a model then it is to proxy a collection. just my
2c.

-igor

> > > now all you have to do is
> > >
> > > LoadableDetachableModel person=new LoadalbeDetachableModel(id);
> > > new CheckBox(this, "cb", new PersonCheckBoxModel(person));
> > >
> > > and everything magically works, hope it gives you some ideas.
>
> Yes, it does indeed give me many ideas. Right now, I'm trying to figure
> out the implementation details.
>
> While stepping through the code, I noticed that the setObject() method
> of my IModel never gets called.
>
> When is this _supposed_ to be set, and why would it not be called in my
> case?

There's not always a need for setObject to be called. I haven't read
the whole thread, but in the above example, you work on a property
('cb') of the person, so all you have to do (probably) is do something
with this updated object (like saving it). You would only do setObject
when you would provide a new person, and when the getObject
implementation wouldn't take care of that.

Personally, I rarely use/ depend on setObject as working with
properties of objects is a very typical thing to do.

Hope this makes sense,