Something like the following code:

        Button searchButton = new Button("searchButton", new
StringResourceModel("searchButton", this, null));

        searchButton.add(new MyAjaxFormSubmitBehaviorWithIndicator(form,
"onclick") {

            protected void onError(AjaxRequestTarget arg0) {

                super.onError(arg0);

            }

            public void onException(Component target, RuntimeException
e) {  <-- Does not get called

                super.onException(target, e);

            }

            protected void onSubmit(AjaxRequestTarget target) {

                Collection ldapUsers = getUsersOrGroupsFromLdap() <--
causes a null pointer exception

                target.addComponent(this);

So in the following code, AbstractBehavior.onException does not get
called, and it is also not being handled by
RequestCycle.onRuntimException, since I have overridden that to catch
run time exceptions already, I know it is not being called.  This is
making it rather difficult to implement ajax error handling for this
situation.

Alternatively, I have a similar piece of code where I explicitly do a
'throw new MyRuntimeException()', and this DOES get handled by
RequestCycle.onRuntimeException.

Any ideas?

Thanks