I've got no clue about those exception. There is problem with current
wicket's output stream (it's obvious even in wicket-examples.
Reverting back to default helps here).

But. There is bigger problem than this. The problem with two different
instances of one page. I don't see easy solution for this. Normally,
this is not an issue, because if you keep page instance, you usually
call setResposnePage(instance) to get to it. However, this is not the
case with modal window. So if you keep reference to modal window page,
and then change it's state, it won't help you, because wicket reads
the serialized age anyway.