Because I still want/need the Wicket session, request cycle, application
context and all that.

but this is just scope creep in tapestry. what you have just described is
almost exactly a service() method in a servlet. why not just build a servlet
to do what you want?

wicket is about the UI, if you need callbacks that have nothing to do with
UI like youve mentioned why use wicket for that?

wicket focuses on doing one thing but doing it very well. we do not
provide a generic request/response framework because that is what servlets
do.

-igor