i don't see a getDefaultLocale on ApplicationSettings (which version do you
use of wicket?)

But setting a (default) locale  like getSession().setLocale() then you will
override the user locale
with something that the server specifies.

But the question is what doesn't work?
What do you do with getSession().getLocale() (which should be what the
browser tells us)

johan