I see what you mean, and understand this use case may be good for some
occasions. There is a big danger however, of Wicket 'silently' failing
(depending on your settings not throwing an exception or displaying a
place holder with a warning) when it cannot locate messages. It would
be too easy to overlook messages that aren't localized.

I think Wicket's defaults are good. And like Juergen said, if you feel
you need another algorithm, you can implement this yourself by doing
an extra bit of work. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Eelco