If I understand the question, you just need to subclass
AjaxPagingNavigator and then copy and modify PagingNavigator.html.
So, if your subclass is called MyAjaxPagingNavigator, create a
MyAjaxPagingNavigator.html file in the same package and copy the
contents of PagingNavigator.html into it. Now modify the html as
needed, keeping the wicket id's and markup  hierarchy intact.

Also check out IPagingLabelProvider. You can implement your own label
provider (to customize how the page link text is rendered) and either
pass it into your "MyAjaxPagingNavigator"  constructor or, probably
better, set it as the default label provider in your
MyAjaxPagingNavigator(String id, IPageable pageable) constructor.

You may also want to override newNavigation() so you can set the
navigation view size, set a custom page link separator, etc.

This is based on Wicket 1.2.5, btw.

hth,
-Ryan