This is not a particularly beautiful, finished, or even
properly-indented (not sure how that happened) implementation but it
does manage to send me text emails with templated contents including
URLs going back into Wicket:

http://databinder.net/wsvn/Databinder/typeturner/trunk/src/main/java/com/typeturner/service/Notify.java?op=file

(The mail() method only. You probably don't need to ping Technorati!)

Nathan