like i said, use formcomponentupdatingbehavior, it only sends over data for
that one field.

if you want to do stuff liek validate on the fly there is an example in
wicket-examples under ajax/form

what you do is add that formcomponentupdatingbehavior to onchange event of
the textbox and throttle it down to only fire once every 5 seconds or
whatever.

-igor