I want some of my pages to be accessed programatically. Basically,
that page may be accessed as a 'web service'. So the same page may be
arrived at in 2 ways - the result of a form submission from another
page in the same app, or the result of a direct http connection. When
accessed as a web service, there are a few extra requirements - the
page must be POSTed to, and there must be an extra http request header
for authorization.

I was thinking that the page could make sure that it always is POSTed
to, but when arrived at in the context of a form submission in the
application, it apparently ends up being the result of a redirect
after the form post, so the page does not think it was posted to. So I
think perhaps the page should only ensure it was posted to if it's
from outside the application. Is there a way for the page to know that
its referrer is another page in the same application? Check the
referrer header?

Is trying to overload this page like this crazy? I thought it would be
less work and a cleaner design, but am not sure when I should just
give up.

Lowell