Hi Jonathan (et al.),

Thanks for your post.

On 15/05/2007, at 1:17 PM, Jonathan Locke wrote:

> i don't understand how you can have a component-oriented web
> framework that generates markup and css without having layout
> managers.  browsers are not consistent enough in the way they
> render to just position everything absolutely.  even if they were
> consistent, you still couldn't use fixed layouts because fonts vary
> from platform to platform.  what you're asking for doesn't make
> any sense to me because "programmatically specifying the place
> of all widgets and content", is /exactly what a layout manager does/.

Thank you again, you may have pointed out problems with my approach
(which, of course, are better to find out earlier rather than
later).  That said, I don't see why programmatically specifying the
place of all widgets and content can't be done in a browser-
independent way (compensating for browser differences, even perhaps
adjusting font sizes, I don't know) without using a layout manager.

To me, a layout manager is something that adapts the layout according
to some generalised rules (e.g. a row or column layout manager) to
fit the current display area size, and are specifically made to
handle resizing of that display area.  I am not that interested in
resizing, but a static structure derived from the content, styles,
and layout data. I guess an example would be a page layout program.

I think in pretty much any Web framework, I could have a single
custom component on a page, and use the application to generate all
the HTML to go into that component and build most (if not all) of the
page.  I guess I am looking for a framework that would help me
generate that HTML programmatically.  As I mentioned, I used to do
this in PERL, I was looking for something in Java and higher-level.

That's just reminded me of the Apache Element Construction Set (ECS)
at <http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/>. It does something like I think I
want in Java but hasn't been updated for a number of years (since
2003) so it lacks the latest HTML constructs (e.g. CSS).

> my personal opinion (and one of the driving forces behind wicket)
> is that designers should not code and coders should not design.

Sure, that's great for most Web applications.  I would hope you could
understand though that, perhaps, there were a class of Web
applications for which this wasn't the optimal approach.  Further, I
wasn't suggesting the designers code, but that code was used to
generate the whole page (i.e. no template).  This doesn't preclude
designers from designing the page in another way (e.g. in another
part of the application).

> in any case, i am not aware of other solutions to this problem
> outside those already mentioned.

No problem, I'm thinking that the AJAX Web frameworks like Echo2 or
wingS (or one of the others, frameworks like these seem to be popping
up everywhere these days) may be the way to go, with a custom
component (that I write) that does the rendering for the content I
want to render, in the way I want to render it (i.e. data driven).
I just need to find which one allows me to do that most easily.

Cheers,
Ashley.

--
Ashley Aitken