im not so sure we should address it.

everytime you request a page wicket performs a fallback-search

you say you want page A, variation B. then wicket has to look for

A_EN_US_B <-- not found
A_EN_B <-- not found
A_B <-- found

in case of markup inheritance this is also done for parents

that is 3 lookups just for a variation. what you are saying is you do not
want to cache "not-found", then that means this search lookup will be
performed every time you render a page, which will slow down the hell out of
the application.

if we can find a way to do this nicely, then fine. but we cannot do what
devmode does and monitor the files becuase that leaves file handles open, so
there needs to be another way.

furthermore, this is not typical of every application out there, in fact it
is quiet atypical. given that, i think chris should implement his own markup
finding using IResourceStreamLocator. i assume he knows when he adds a new
variation, so that event can work in conjunction with his own
iresourcestream to evict some lookup path from the markup.

maybe really all we need to add is markupcache.clear(class), and then chris
can call that when he adds a new variation. also he can probably make all
this happen by implementing IMarkupCacheKeyProvider on components for which
he adds variations.

just some food for thought

-igor

On 5/15/07, Jean-Baptiste Quenot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

* Chris Colman:

> It has no  problem finding the ones that are  there when the web
> app is started. It's just that it only looks once at startup. If
> I add a new one after the web app has started it never finds it.

Indeed  this is  a known  problem, but  surprisingly never  fixed.
Igor mentions it  is done like this by design,  but I think you've
got a perfectly valid usecase that Wicket should address.
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty