Johan, thanks for the response. It still appears that I will be instantiating
multiple AjaxLink(s), one for each unique link. In a stateful page these
would be stored in the session. By moving some state to the client it
appears that it might be possible to reduce the number of server side
objects that would be retained in the session. Pardon me if I am missing
something.

I was looking at this for something like a panel that provided links to say
multiple press releases. When the link was selected it would call common
Ajax on click handler and infer the item to be presented by unique request
parameter. There could be many links and also many concurrent sessions so I
was a bit worried about reducing impact from a session standpoint.

I am new to the framework and am trying to come up to speed as quickly as
possible, but am very favorably impressed.