emm, actually the Song is "Come out and Play" and was on the 94'SMASH album
;)

  _____

Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im Auftrag von Igor
Vaynberg
Gesendet: Freitag, 18. Mai 2007 21:12
An: wicket-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Betreff: Re: [Wicket-user] Gricket: The Love-Child of Grails and Wicket

you gotta keep'em separated <-- i love that song! didnt know you were an
offspring fan eelco!

-igor

> Haha, sorry but it seems some of the Wicket community are still living in
> Lala land with regards to believing everything deployed to production has
> be written in Java. It is 2007, the realisation that Java is not the best
> language for web apps has hit home for years now.

Oh, I can't disagree more. Java 'proved' (note that that's a very
subjective to start with) to be not the best language for web apps
because most of the 'Java' frameworks around are more focussed on
inventing declarative programming models, usually based on XML or
annotations than on enabling users to simply program Java like Wicket
made it it's goal.

I'm sure Grails/ Groovy can give you an edge in cases, but at the same
time, I'm absolutely convinced it many cases such an edge would only
be short term (quick delivery of basic functionality). Take the
project I'm working on now. It's a complex beast, with hardly any real
straightforward CRUD functionality. The ability to refactor without
problems, navigate code quickly, reuse similar pieces of functionality
as custom components etc etc makes using Java very valuable.

I don't want to get into yet another framework battle, certainly not
on our own mailing list, but imo, there are good cases for both, and a
level of integration would be more than welcome, especially because
users get to choose what they want while still being able to switch
from one to the other/ or do parts of their project in one and parts
in the other, and have a better level of reuse.

> A good language for
> writing a lot of your business logic yes, but your business logic and web
> logic are two different things and if you're mixing them you're already
> making mistakes right there.

You can just write n layers in Java and keep em separated. I don't see
any problems with that.

Cheers,