something like this:

class panelwithanychild extends panel implements icomponentresolver {
 public panelwithanychild(string id) {
      super(id);
  }

   public boolean resolve(final MarkupContainer container, final
MarkupStream markupStream,
           final ComponentTag tag) {

           if (container==this&&((WicketTag)tag).getId().equals("marker"))
{
             if (size()!=1) { throw new IllegalStateException("need exactly
one child"); }
             Component child=iterator().next();
             child.beforeRender(); child.render(); return true;
            }
            return false;

panelwithanychild.html
<wicket:panel><div wicket:id="marker"></div></wicket:panel>

then just

markupcontainer pc=new panelwithanychild("container");
add(pc);
pc.add(p);

-igor