Sure Alex, what i meant was that in order to get IFRAME to be transparent i
tried a combination of setting allowtransparency="true" as an attribute on
the IFRAME element and then in css class definition for the IFRAME put in:
filter:"progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(style=0, opacity=0)"; Alpha
handles opacity allowing effectively transparency for the underlying page
content (didn't work with select form component though).

Note IE worked for textfields (input type="text") html form components with
these settings. it was the select that failed. Below is an example snippet
code with z-indexes to illustrate this point. the z-index  is a constant in
the example:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Z-Index</TITLE>
<script>
function setindex()
{
        div1.style.zIndex=text1.value;
        select1.style.zIndex=text2.value;
        getindexes();
}

function getindexes(){

        text1.value=div1.style.zIndex;
        text2.value=select1.style.zIndex;
        text3.value=5;
}
</script>
</HEAD>
<BODY onload="getindexes()">

Div
<input type="text" value="" id=text1 name=text1 ><p>

Select
<input type="text" value="" id=text2 name=text2><p>

IFrame
<input type="text" value="" id=text3 name=text3><p>
<input type="button" value="Set Z-Index" id=button1 name=button1
onclick="setindex()">
<DIV id=div1 name=div1
style="width:200;height:200;background-color:lightblue;
position:absolute;left:350;top:250;z-index:">DIV</DIV>
<select id=select1 name=select1
style=";position:absolute;left:300;top:400;width=500;z-index:"
size=1 >
        <option>Option1
        <option>Option2
        <option>Option3
</select>
<IFRAME id=iframe1 name=iframe1 src="" scroll=none
style="width:100;height:115;position:absolute;
left:400;top:300;border-color:green;z-index:5;"></iframe>
</BODY>
</HTML>