>                     this.add(label);
>                     request.addComponent(label);
>                }
>                else
>                {
>                    this.add(textField);
>                    request.addComponent(textField);
>                }

This is suspicious. I don't think you should add components
to the hierarchy during ajax request processing, and
definitely not if-else what you add when you have static
markup (i.e. no repeaters).

Always add both components, and set their visibility as
needed. Wicket visibility controls whether the comoponent
produces any markup at all, so it's "stronger" than HTML
visibility.

With ajax updates of visibility you need a placeholder to
update around the component (as invisible components don't
provide any markup which ajax could update).

Best wishes,
Timo

P.S. Congratulations to Apache Wicket for graduating!

--
Timo Rantalaiho
Reaktor Innovations Oy    <URL: http://www.ri.fi/ >