> So am I to assume then that Wicket doesn't have any Java components to mimic
> such behavior?

There might be something in one of the wicket-stuff projects. Not sure.

> The problem with using javascript in templates is that the template itself
> is not dynamic...only the wicket:id components.  Correct?

Yeah, but those Wicket components in turn can produce anything you like.

> the javascript menu that I am familiar with is OpenCube.  These menus
> utilize a javascript structure to create the desired menus.  Is there a way
> to create this array structure in wicket and upload it in a javascript
> block?

Yep, you can do that. There are many examples of Wicket components
that directly depend on Javascript. For instance, check out the date
picker in the wicket-datetime project. The #renderHead method
contributes both static and dynamic Javascript (for the latter see the
line with TextTemplateHeaderContributor.forJavaScript), and in
#onRendered it writes some markup directly after the component's tag.