maybe this is a bug?  i have a ConstrainedPropertyValidator which extends
AbstractValidator (which implements INullAcceptingValidator) and returns
true for validateOnNullValue() and it works just fine.  you might need to
trace into the validation code to figure out why it's not calling your
validator.