(Trying not to let my preconceived notions about old school
HttpRequest/Response style apps and/or hand coded DHTML javascript
cloud my thinking, but it's not easy...)

Sometimes I find myself longing for a more comprehensive wicket
"cookbook"; wicket-examples starts to go down that road, but isn't as
comprehensive as I hoped.

There might be a CSS aspect to this question as well:

I'm trying to make a kind of menu panel that is usually hidden, but
contains arbitrary HTML (at least captions and checkboxes) and that
shows updirectly underneath a label. The panel would appear over any
HTML content beneath it, positioned under the label that the user
clicked on.

I've been browsing the usual suspects of wicket examples, I might not
be looking for the right keywords; "Popups" are usually the moral
equivalent of <a href="" target="_new">, "Dropdowns" usually refer to
HTML select-boxish things, and ModalWindow is close, but I actually
want clicking elsewhere to dismiss the dialog.

Also, what happened to http://www.wicket-library.com/ ?