In principle, if I was given a range to compromise with, I would go the
conservative route and pick the edge of the range which is closer to the
previous value. In this case, the given range is 500 to 1000ms, the previous
value is 10000ms, so I would go with 1000ms.

Having said that, in my eyes an arbitrary value gets replaced by another
arbitrary value. More tests of that kind won't make that value any less
arbitrary. Therefore, I would comment this code for redesign in a future build.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/bug-1786613-500ms-return-skipped/+merge/353028
Your team Widelands Developers is subscribed to branch