When elpa is installed, it needs an extra flag   --enable-openmp

Otherwise multiple threads are not supported.

In the tar ball of elpa is a file     INSTALL.md     which explains clearly how to configure, compile and install elpa.

Anyway, if you do not have a threaded elpa version, set OMP_NUM_THREADS to one and use 2x mpi parallelization.

Depending on your hardware (network,...) it may be a little slower or not, but only tests can tell you this for sure.