Dear Colleague,

Le 28/04/2011 04:59, ?? a ?crit :
> Dear,
>   Recently I have calculated a system in cubic crystal structure (No.225,
> Fm-3m). The compound contains two magnetic ions A (0 0 0) and B (0.5 0.5
> 0.5). The experimental reported magnetic structure is each of the magnetic
> moments of A and B orders in the type I arrangement while the moment of A and
> B are antiparallel with each other.
> My first question is: when I design the magnetic structure as the experiment
> reported, the crystal structure reduced to be tetragonal (No.123, P4mmm).
> Will this symmetry reduction in calculation influence the results?

No, except that you impose a given symetry to the spin density. Thus the
spin density will relax in this symmetry during the SCF cycle.

> Since my A ion is rare earth elements and the calculation from VASP (use the
> P1 symmetry) gets no magnetic moment for it. The earlier literatures have
> reported the magnetic moments of rear earth ions may be closely relative to
> the local crystal filed. Therefore I wonder whether the magnetic moment for
> the rare earth in my case from wien is reliable.

You should differenciate the local symetry (local crystal field) and the
space group. The local field around A is always the same, whatever is
the space group you are using to describe the system (Fm-3m, P4mmm or P1).
So the magnetic moment will not be affected by the choice of space
group, except if it leads to a different magnetic order than the
experimental one.

Concerning your VASP calculation, to have a magnetic moment on A you
need to use a adequate pseudopotential (in which the f states are in the
valence) and GGA+U. It should lead to similar results than WIEN2k.

> My second question is: The magnetic moment of  A ions converged to be
> parallel from GGA calculation (The spins have been inverted in case.inst
> file). To get the antiparallel magnetic moment of A ions. I do two GGA+U
> calculations. For the first one I do it based on the result from GGA
> calculation. The magnetic moment of A ions from this GGA+U calculation is
> sure to be parallel. For the other one I also use the GGA results. The
> difference is I use the case.dmat files from the first GGA+U calculation but
> invert the density matrix of the A ion whose spin has been inverted in
> case.inst file. Then I use ?-orbc? option. I did get antiparallel magnetic
> moment of A ions in the second calculation and the total energy is much lower
> than the first GGA+U calculation (about 3 Ry/f.u.). It that OK, or any
> problem?

I would restart the calculation after using -orb to finalize the
calculation.
Just for information, did you simply try to invert the magnetic moments
in the case.inst file and directly run GGA+U?

Regards

Xavier