On 09/24/2014 03:32 AM, Zhu, Jianxin wrote:
Sorry for disturbing you this afternoon.

It is for me to apologize for inflicting this problem on you (and on other wien2wannier users, I fear) through my choice to use UTF-8 characters in some wien2wannier messages. I chose to use those characters because they were nice for formatting the names of orbitals for the initial projections in `write_inwf' (like Peter's example `z²'), and because I thought that support for them should be pretty much universal on any modern system.

Of course I was aware that there might be a few people it would fail for, but not that it would fail so badly. (You showed that not only are the Unicode characters displayed wrongly, but ASCII character between them are deleted: "`-emin X -emax Y'" [substituting apostrophes for the offending Unicode quote marks] becomes "â"!)

I will shortly provide an ASCIIized version of wien2wannier, and avoid non-ASCII characters in future versions. (Of course, the Right Thing would be to make the programs aware of the locale settings and adjust the messages accordingly, as many tools do these days ...)

After a few more times of struggling, I pinned down the root cause to be
with the setting of xterm under x11.
With the correction, the problem disappears. Of course, we still need to

setenv LANG en_US.UTF-8

on the linux cluster if the UTF-8 is not set as default, if we remotely
log onto it.

On my machine, experimentation shows that it is a question of the locale settings in effect when the terminal is started. I.e.,

$ unset LANG
$ xterm

gives me a terminal that displays the characters wrongly, but just changing it in the current shell

[old terminal] $ xterm
[new xterm]    $ unset LANG

does not change the behavior.

Also, xterm showed the problem while my standard terminal application does not.

        Elias