It is recommended to make both your slab surfaces identical where possible. The p21, p22 and p24 refer to the type of supercell used to represent the surface. Since you are using a periodic model you are imposing a strong symmetry on the surface, not all reconstructions can be made within your unit cell, indeed for your dimer you will need a 2x1 expansion, i.e. two cells next to eachother along the a axis. The symbols (and possible angles) represent the shape and rotation of the resulting cell (in this case p=primitive, c=centered).

You can find more info in for instance:
Introduction to Solid State Physics - Kittel - about the description of cells
and
Density Functional Theory: A Practical Introduction - Sholl and Steckel - for the basics of how to model surfaces