Dear Bin Shao,

unfortunately I am travelling and won't be able to contribute during the next days. I am looking forward to comments from people with experience in calculations with rare earths.

May I just ask why you go for the energy and not for the magnetization or the susceptibility? If there is some change of the crystal field ground state this should show. From your calculation you get the size of the magnetic moments for a given field, from that you get a susceptibility. From what you say something happens around 4 T. I cannot guess from the information I have what, but I would expect it to show in the susceptibility as well.

Good luck with this interesting problem

Martin Pieper

---
Dr. Martin Pieper