I would answer it differently:

No, it does not really make sense to use LDA+U for an atom; but there are not many other chances to calculate formation or cohesive energies.

For such quantities one MUST do all calculations with exactly the same calculational parameters and of course also with identical DFT-approximations.

In all cases, where for one or the other system a certain approximation is not very good, the corresponding E-differences are of course very problematic.

So if you compare a TM oxide with free TM and O atoms, all approximations must be the same.

Of course for a TMO GGA+U is probably much better, but I would NOT say this for a free atom. You can test the sensitivity of your results be repeating the same E-difference using GGA (or even better a meta-GGA), i.e. you treat the atom more meaningful, but may even have a "metallic" TMO.

The situation is similar for a formation energy of a TMO with respect to the metallic element and O2. GGA+U for bcc Fe with a sizable U gives magnetic moments up to 3 mB !