Of course inclusion of SO interactions may lead to another magnetic ground state. For example, at least in principle it certainely will do so if the symmetry of your Hamiltonian including SO breaks some symmetry of the ground state you found without SO. So you might want to look wether or not initso induces changes of your symmetry. However, the effect in whatever you are interested in might be too small to make a real difference.

Therefore, you also might compare typical SO interaction energies for elements in your structure with the energy differences between the ground states you worked out without SO. If you have light elements (small SO) and large Heisenberg exchange, then probably nothing will happen.

In addition you should be aware of the fact that Wien2k (or any other DFT program) will find (if you are lucky and everything works out) the ground state within the symmetry you set up during initialization. If you set up a hexagonal structure with some AF magnetic structure on top of it (maybe in a larger unit cell) your result from the scf cycle will have that symmetry. The actual ground state of the material you are interested in might be completely different. A drastic example: SO interaction may lead to non-collinear helical spin structures - which are outside the scope of standard Wien2k.

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University
Institute of Physics