No, you do not need to recompile. That is because x_lapw is a C shell [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_shell ] script.

It should be easy to apply x_lapw.patch, for example, in a terminal:

username@computername:~/Desktop$ cd $WIENROOT
username@computername:~/WIEN2k$ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gsabo/WIEN2k-Patches/master/16.1/x_lapw.patch
username@computername:~/WIEN2k$ patch -b x_lapw x_lapw.patch
patching file x_lapw

Yes, x_lapw.patch shows only one change. No, it doesn't replace "l" by "1" in line number 2583. The original WIEN2k 16.1 x_lapw has three lines, lines 2581 through 2583. The patch removes the bashslash (\) from lines 2581 and 2582. Then, the three lines (2581-2583) are combined into one line (2581).