Dear Xongxin,

Thank you very much for your report. I'm not the expert in the lapwdm code, but a few remarks from my side:

I agree with your test, in principle the definition of Ly should be reversed.

However, according to my tests, Ly as defined in couplx.f is used only for the expectation values like orbital moment or orbital hyperfine field (Rindex,Lsindex=1 3 or 3 3). It is not used for the density matrix (0 0).

If I compare the orbital moments of RX,LSX=0 0 and RXLSX=1,3 I can find agreement with the original code, but after "fixing" Ly, the orbital moment of RX,LSX=1 3 is different from that of the density matrix.

Now we can speculate, which result is correct, but the code history shows that LY was redefined ("in the wrong way") in 2007, but from that time on the orbital moments agree with the two methods. I thus believe that one should NOT change the code (except when you want to use the Ly matrices somewhere else in a different code).

My guess is that in the calculation of the expectation values with RX,LSX=1,3 there is an "error", which compensates the "wrong" definition of Ly.

Regards