From: Wien <wien-boun...@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at> on behalf of Leandro
Salemi <leandro.sal...@physics.uu.se>
Date: Friday, April 6, 2018 at 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Wien] Magnetization axis, SOC, and rotation

Dear Jianxin,

The direction chosen in initso is with respect to the lattice vectors (not to
cartesian coordinates).

For a cubic system, it does not really matter but it is not true in general !

For instance, if you have a tetragonal system, the magnetization along 111 does
not mean that the cartesian vector is 111.

The cartesian basis xyz is something that we define and there exists an
infinite number of ways of defining it. On the contrary, the crystallographic
system is fixed once the atomic positions are known. Hence, it would make sense
to say that "the magnetization is along the c-axis" while saying "along z" does
not really mean anything.

Best regards,

Leandro