Dear Gavin,

This is a very good point. I certainly agree that the symmetry of the cubic structure should be reduced to that of the tetragonal structure.

Thank you
Oleg

On May 8, 2018, at 04:05, Gavin Abo <gs...@crimson.ua.edu> wrote:

In the BaTiO3 tutorial, lambda1.struct and lambda0.struct both have spacegroup 99_P4mm and 8 symmetry operations [ https://github.com/spichardo/BerryPI/wiki/Tutorial-1:-Spontaneous-Polarization-in-BaTiO3 ].

I see a sentence in the tutorial:

The symmetry operations are identical (!) to the lambda1 case, in spite of a higher symmetry of the lambda0 structure.

Perhaps that is the sentence that another user got that the symmetry might need to remain the same [ https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16112.html ].

The tet1.struct has spacegroup 99_P4mm, while cubic.struct has spacegroup 221_Pm3m.

According to the tutorial:

8. Spontaneous polarization is obtained by taking a difference in polarization between P(lambda1) and P(lambda0) -> Difference between tet1 and cubic for the PbTiO3 case?

For PbTiO3, is it okay that there are "8 NUMBER OF SYMMETRY OPERATIONS" in cubic.struct and "48 NUMBER OF SYMMETRY OPERATIONS" in tet1.struct for the spontaneous polarization calculation?