1) As was mentioned before, check how an scf cycle is performed:

cat :log

You see all commands issued in this directory and you should see, that only the lapwso, lapw2 and mixer steps have a -orb option, but not lapw1.

In a SO calculation we apply -orb ONLY to the lapwso step, not to lapw1.

2) If you are not sure if a switch should be set or not, you can do 2 things:

x tetra -h            or
x spaghetti -h lists all possible switches of tetra/spaghetti and as you can see, -orb is not present. You should not use it (but it does not harm).

Alternatively, do the calculations with /without -orb. If the results are the same, you are ok. If the results differ, you have to think (or ask) what you should do.

And finally:

lapw1 calculates KS eigenvalues and lapwso adds SO to the previously found states. The orbital potential should of course only be applied ONCE, and we do it in lapwso (for SO calc.), but in lapw1 for non-so calculations.

For lapw2 -orb is only an "output"-option. With -orb it calculates the density matrices (needed as input for the program orb), otherwise it does not. For SO calculations -orb should NEVER be used, because for SO the density matrices have to be calculated in lapwdm.