The "sudo service sshd restart" step, which I forgot to copy and paste, that is missing is corrected below.

On 9/28/2019 12:18 PM, Gavin Abo wrote:

After you set both "SendEnv *" and "AcceptEnv *", did you restart the sshd service [1]?  The following illustrates steps that might help you verify that WIENROOT appears on a remote vlsi node:

username@computername:~$ echo $WIENROOT

username@computername:~$ export WIENROOT=/servernode1
username@computername:~$ echo $WIENROOT
/servernode1
username@computername:~$ ssh vlsi
Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-64-generic x86_64)
Last login: Sat Sep 28 12:04:07 2019 from xxx.x.x.x
username@computername:~$ echo $WIENROOT

username@computername:~$ exit
logout
Connection to vlsi closed.