At least question 2) is easy:

When you run

x lapw1 -band -up/dn; x lapwso -up

then you MUST run:   x lapw2 -band -so -up

Without -band, lapw2 expects the k-points on a tetrahedral mesh and stops with a clear error message, which you seem to have overlooked.

After a calculation, I suggest to do:  ls -alsrt

This shows you the last modifications of all files and their length (non-zero).

abour point 1) I don't know exactly what you are doing ....