Just some background:

The radial wavefunctions depend on energy, and this dependency becomes larger further away from the nucleus.

We "linearise" this energy dependency (Taylor-series truncated after the first term), which is fine for small spheres (and s,p electrons). For large spheres and in particular for d and f states, the linearization is not completely accurate and we can add a  "HDLO" (higher derivative LO, actually it is a second derivative).

In WIEN2k_23 we improved the init script and added a "precision" level,  -prec 0-3. For -prec 2 and 3 HDLOs will be automatically added.

For earlier versions, please read the UG (lapw1) how this can be done manually.