On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 1:25 AM, phoebe ayers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> http://www.educause.edu/content.asp?page_id=15031&PRODUCT_CODE=ELI082/SESS07&bhcp=1
>
> "To enhance the learning experience of a term paper, students were
> required to publish their papers in Wikipedia. Publishing for a large
> audience provided authentic feedback and encouraged students to do
> their best work. Using Wikipedia also allowed students to connect with
> a vibrant community and share their knowledge by making their papers
> publicly accessible."
>
> I haven't watched the profession, but the sentence "students were
> required to publish their papers in Wikipedia" makes me cringe. One
> can only hope the professors introduced them to (or understood) the
> norms and policies of the site, and didn't require original
> research...

Yes, there are clear differences in methodology between a term paper and a
Wikipedia article (completely aside from wiki versus non-wiki), as well as
in genre of writing style, which is certainly non-trivial. But I still
admire people who are taking the initiative in this regard - even if they
are making mistakes (provided they/we learn from those mistakes!). There is
an interesting ongoing writeup by an educator in the University of British
Colombia about his experiences of a similar project:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jbmurray/Madness

Cormac