The General Notability Guideline is our friend here. Because we require
articles to be verifiable that particular scenario doesn't apply - we
frequently have people try and add articles and content in situations as
unverifiable as the one the NY Times details. But we reject such content.

Where I believe our crowdsourcing model breaks down is when we don't have a
crowd, or we work too quickly for crowds to form:

- Speedy deletion where an admin and maybe one other editor will summarily
delete stuff, in theory only if it meets some strict criteria.

- Our smaller wikis. We now have about a thousand, and the wisdom of crowds
is inherently vulnerable to subdivision of crowds. A "One wiki per
language, plus one multilingual wiki for all those things where we work
across languages" would be a better model.

WSC