I'm with Kerry.

By the way, 120 million notable articles are possible, but the estimate is
far to be complete, so the real figure is greater for sure. I love these
discussions.

2012/10/28 Kerry Raymond <kerry.raym...@gmail.com>

> [...]
> enormous growth potential.
>
> Generally Wikipedia has better coverage of contemporary topics than
> historical because the WWW provides easy access to more sources for topics
> of contemporary notability than for historic notability. But if every
> single episode of Seinfeld is notable (as it must be as each has a WP
> article!), then surely every book/song/poem/artwork that has ever been
> reviewed is notable too. and based on the apparent notability of current
> sports people and the results of what seems like every football season,
> tennis tournament, atheletics meet, etc, then surely history has plenty of
> equally notable articles on similar topics. Jousting tournaments in 1517 in
> Avignon, etc. What about race horses? A lot has been written on their
> pedigree, form and prospects for centuries. Lots of growth potential there
> too.
>
> History has a wealth of new articles for Wikipedia of at least the same
> notability as current subjects. Whether anyone wants to write them or
> anyone want to read them, only time will tell. Notability doesn't
> necessarily make something interesting to a modern reader. But there is a
> massive "long tail" of historically notable topics that could be written
> about.
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 28/10/2012, at 8:55 PM, "Yaroslav M. Blanter" <pute...@mccme.ru> wrote:
>
> > We have a new article in The Atlantic,
> >

> http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/surmounting-the-insurmountable-wikipedia-is-nearing-completion-in-a-sense/264111/
> >
> > (which btw I found following Dario's twitter, @ReaderMeter, which I
> recommend)
> >
> > and this is still the same story of whether we achieved the limit of
> what can be written etc). Without going into details of this animated
> debate (I have smth to say, for instance, I just created two articles which
> have about a hundred red links, and the material to fill in these red links
> is available, but this will lead us away from the topic), I am curious, if
> anybody ever tried to estimate what is the possible number of notable
> topics for articles. On the short time scale, it should grow linearly with
> time, since we have new sports events, elections, TW shows, movies, books
> etc, and many persons who previously not been notable become notable. Thus,
> this number must be
> >
> > N = a + b (t-2012),
> >
> > where a is the number of topics notable now, t is the time in years, and
> b is the number of new topics which become notable every year.
> >
> > Was there any research on what order of magnitude a and b have? I guess
> b must be in the order of dozens of thousands, since we are talking about
> people. What is a? Is it dominated by the number of species of insects, or
> cosmic bodies, or what?
> >
> > I tried to ask this question several years ago in Russian Wikipedia, but

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>