Not much left to add after Finn's list, but those may be interesting as
well:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Newsletter/2011/October#High_search_engine_rankings_of_Wikipedia_articles_found_to_be_justified_by_quality
 (In "1000 queries, Yahoo showed the most Wikipedia results within the top
10 lists (446), followed by MSN/Live (387), Google (328), and Ask.com
(255)".)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-03-07/In_the_news#Google_algorithm_update
(caused
Wikipedia to rise from 7578 to 8050 (+6.2%) presences in the first search
result page, in a sample of around 60,000 keywords.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2006-11-06/Search_and_Wikipedia
 ("Wikipedia appeared in the top 10, thus putting it on the first page of
results, on 81% of searches using Google and 77% for Yahoo.")

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportGoogle.htm ("Google
referred to our sites, through its services including search, maps, and
Google Earth, 212,902,650 page views per day, representing 41.1% of our
external page requests. ")

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Finn Årup Nielsen <f...@imm.dtu.dk> wrote:

> Hi Phoebe (and others on the list),
>

> On 13-11-2012 21:47, phoebe ayers wrote:
>
>  Are there any solid estimates out there of how many Google [or other]
>> searches have a Wikipedia article as the first [or second or third...]
>> hit? Any language breakdowns of this would be super cool as well.
>>

> If you look in my "Wikipedia research and tools: Review and comments."
> http://www2.imm.dtu.dk/pubdb/**views/edoc_download.php/6012/**
> pdf/imm6012.pdf<http://www2.imm.dtu.dk/pubdb/views/edoc_download.php/6012/pdf/imm6012.pdf>
> on page 15 "Popularity" you see a couple of studies using a sample of
> pages:
>
> "Seeking health information online: does Wikipedia matter?"
> http://jamia.bmj.com/content/**16/4/471.long<http://jamia.bmj.com/content/16/4/471.long>
>
> http://www.conductor.com/blog/**2012/03/wikipedia-in-the-**
> serps-appears-on-page-1-for-**60-of-informational-34-**
> transactional-queries/<http://www.conductor.com/blog/2012/03/wikipedia-in-the-serps-appears-on-page-1-for-60-of-informational-34-transactional-queries/>
>
> http://www.**intelligentpositioning.com/**blog/2012/02/wikipedia-page-**
> one-of-google-uk-for-99-of-**searches/<http://www.intelligentpositioning.com/blog/2012/02/wikipedia-page-one-of-google-uk-for-99-of-searches/>
>
> The first one reports around 35% health related queries having Wikipedia
> on top of of the Google result list.
> http://jamia.bmj.com/content/**16/4/471/T1.expansion.html<http://jamia.bmj.com/content/16/4/471/T1.expansion.html>
>

>  I've seen offhand references to this phenomenon in many papers, but
>> I'm wondering if someone on this list knows of a particularly good
>> estimate or reliable information.
>>

> Google has become 'bubbled'. You could try DuckDuckGo instead, e.g.,
>
> http://duckduckgo.com/?q=**Alzheimer+region%3Anone<http://duckduckgo.com/?q=Alzheimer+region%3Anone>
>
> See also: http://dontbubble.us/
>

> /Finn

Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB