I talked to Max on IRC, but I'm pointing here for the lurkers :)

I think that measuring labor hours via edit sessions is a great idea and I
have python library to help extract sessions from edit histories.  See
https://bitbucket.org/halfak/mediawiki-utilities.

Assuming that you have a list of a user's revisions from the API, using the
session extractor to build a set of session start and end timestamps for a
user would look like this:

----------------------------
*from mwutil.lib import sessions*

# Get your revisions ordered by timestamp
# revisions = <some API call result>

events = (rev['user'], rev['timestamp'], rev) for rev in revisions

for user, session in *sessions.sessions*(events):

    # write out a TSV file
    print "\t".join(
        str(v) for v in
        [user, len(session), session[0]['timestamp'],
session[-1]['timestamp']
    )