Hi,
Aaron, I tend to agree with your conclusion, and personally have little
interest in the relationship between actual size and readable size.
But from technical point of view, I guess you should plot your scatter plot
in log-log scale and also calculate the correlation between the logarithm
of the variables.
The sizes are not normally distributed but log-normally [1], and linear
statistics on heavy-tailed distributions are usually spurious.

[1]
http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0038869.g018&representation=PNG_M

Take care,

Taha